So that the "I do" of the spouses may be a free and responsible act and so that the marriage covenant may have solid and lasting human and Christian foundations, preparation for marriage is of prime importance. – Catechism of the Catholic Church 1632.
More than ever necessary in our times is preparation of young people for marriage and family life. – Familiaris Consortio 66.
Further implementing the US Bishops’ pastoral initiative for marriage, the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception now offers In-Home Marriage Preparation for all engaged couples seeking to enter into the Sacrament of Matrimony, at the Cathedral, and at the Chapel of Sts. Peter and Paul.
Here’s what’s involved:
- Meet with a priest for an initial consultation and initiate the engagement with the parish.
- 6 meetings in a mentor couple’s home provide a comfortable place to open up and explore strengths and weaknesses and learn good habits. Topics include:
- Learn NFP and its benefits, and how to use it to achieve or postpone pregnancy.
Why THIS program when there are so many others out there?
- This is personalized preparation designed specifically around each couple’s strengths and areas of need.
- It uses and provides an authentically Catholic vision of marriage, while offering practical skills for day-to-day challenges.
- One-on-one meetings in a home give a couple the opportunities to reflect and cope, set goals and expectations, without feeling rushed or exposed.
- Research shows that marriage preparation done in-home provides a much higher success rate!
To schedule an appointment for a consultation with a priest, call the Cathedral Office at (903) 592-1617.
Other helpful links:
US Conference of Catholic Bishops: “Marriage Preparation”